Saturday, August 4, 2018

Day twelve - Part two


The first half of my day was a free and fun Kpop blasting day, and I realized I might not be in London, but I was in the UK so I decided to get fish and chips. I remembered stopping at the city for breakfast so I went back. While I was driving out of town in the morning I saw some cool murals, so I thought I would stop and see them. What an eyeopening experience.

Free Derry Corner









This is a monument to all the people who died in The Troubles whose monument couldn't be placed within the city where their deaths happened.






This is the mural I saw on my way out of town, inspiring me to come back.



This corner is somber. each of these murals are painted on the end of apartment buildings. It is clear from this location and the buildings around that the IRA is alive and well, and it may be quite, but the fight is not over. 


The Walled City
Built 1613-1618 walking the city walls is a great example of the british stiff upper lip. There is a lot of events surrounding The Troubles and all of the signage is very neutral, stating facts. The culture clash in this city is awing. I felt still the entire trip.




I apologize, the pics are a bit out of order, I can't even begin to set them right, but they are still enjoyable.





Built in 543 AD








Seen from the wall. Near Free Derry Corner.






Look at the width of this wall. It is bigger than the roads.


The Peace wall.









Someone has written IRA on this within site of the wall.







Soccer/Basketball court.


Seriously this is so much bigger then what I have been driving on.


Kids playing by running through the whole in that wood plank. Some of them balk at it and can't make it through. This is very serious play! 
Here is a video of the craziness.




This cannon was destroyed by an explosion in the barrel before the cannon left destroying the tip.










For my theatre friends.


Needless to say I now understand, and happy that I respected that couple's feelings that it is too soon. The Troubles may be quite, but they are not resolved at all. I was very humbled by this experience. Americans really don't understand the underlining tension in this location. We are truly blessed with our peaceful country.



No comments:

Post a Comment