Thursday, July 12, 2018

Norway Day Three


The night before I went to XL Diner and was served by the Owner/Chef... he bused my dishes.... Apparently this is a thing when you are a single diner in a fancy restaurant. The food was amazing! Do I have pics? NO! I enjoyed my meal and the sudden take over of my evening by six native Norwegians. They really wanted me to go dancing, but it was light out at 11:45 and I was discombobulated to say the least, and I really didn't want to have a hang over the next day.

I did however over sleep... Woke up at noon, so I went to Lyst for lunch, owned by the same man... DROOL!!! I had fish soup there... I never wanted it to end. Do I have a pic? NO! I enjoyed my meal and people watching. This is the best salad I have ever had though.


My entire planning of this trip started and ending with a trip to Atlanterhavsparken. Norway's National Aquarium. I had been told that they had deep water fish in pressurized tanks... I was so excited to see the luminous deep sea fish... I did... They were taxidermy-d. I was sad, but they were still cool. It is a very nice aquarium and I do recommend it. They have cool Scandinavian fish that you just won't see in America.

THis piece of adorableness in an eleven day old seal pup who was abandoned by it's mom at birth.


Adorable!!! He has to be force fed fish a few times everyday. No mother's milk for him. We were asked not to record the feeding, while he was adorable between fish, it was very hard to watch.

A bit dark, but this Octopus is very cool/

Three Otter Friends frolicking before their feeding presentation.

I am obsessed with these Norwegian Crow/Ravens. it looks like they have a sweater vest on.


One on the highest recommendations from my host was to visit Alnes Fyr (Lighthouse) on Godøya Island. The Queen, yes Norway hass a Monarchy, had a simple gallery built at the base of the light house. It is very nice, if small. 

The Lighthouse is surrounded by two beaches, one sandy and one rocky. Sandy includes surfers... and a kelp bed. They have to wade through the kelp on the sand, with the tide out, then through the kelp in the water, then out far enough to catch a wave. It looked exhausting. The water was cold, but I dipped my toes in the Atlantic Ocean.













There is a tunnel system in Ålesund that is truly astonishing, and the tunnel to Godøya was under construction. At 8pm I drove up to leave and SUPRISE, the tunnel was closed until 10 pm... :D So I took the opportunity to drive around the island and I found Høgsteinen Fry.


Norwegians dressed for summer. Seriously... I talked to them.


This is posted as cross at your own risk. As I crossed I imagined running out on this path during a storm to keep the lighthouse lit... Chills.

One of the stones from a burial mound placed atop another.

Burial Mound


Burial Mound, many have been found all over the Eastern coast of Norway. The Viking Ships were found in Mounds like these. We will see those soon.

3-minute meditation behind the Fyr.

This is the video of the construction of the tunnel on my way back. I drop the phone, don't worry, I made it back alive.


Weird thing - This is my parking spot, but probably the only close up of the rebuilt buildings after the fire.



For my knitting friends: Essentials right there in the grocery store.




No comments:

Post a Comment