Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Norway Day Two - Trollstigen (Troll Road)

The second morning I had an 8 hour drive with a few hours of hiking planned, on about five ours sleep and expected jet lag (the jet lag didn't hit until I arrived home, luckilly). I wanted to arrive at a reasonable time for my Hosts, and have a nice dinner... so I felt pressed for time. Next time four weeks... at least.

There was an American Club meeting happening at the gas station/park. I didn't stop, worried about my long drive. Now I wish I had.
I was walking back from getting gas and a tiny cup of coffee from a weird machine and saw this sculpture. There is a very nice park here.

You can see the set-up for the American club between the tusks.

The kids in the park were just using this as a slide.
Thanks to google I can now tell you I was about to enter Romsdalen Valley. Now many of you have experienced Glacier National Park, and will want to compare... you would be wrong to. These mountains are HUGE! There is a reason they are called the Scandinavian Alps.

I was driving along with beautiful scenery, enjoying my music, then suddenly... MOUNTAINS!!!
WATERFALL!!!




This is the first of three houses I decided to buy and live in forever. Can you imagine waking to this view everyday?? Well, everyday the sun decided to come up.

COME ON!!!




They are adding a tunnel for the animals to cross over. SO COOL!
I love me a waterfall!
Next I arrived at the cool little visitors center. I needed coffee and was VERY surprised to find Trollveggen. There is a video at the center that I did not stay to watch, one of many things I regret from my trip and not having enough time.
A monument to the people who have dies Base Jumping or Climbing this mountain face.

This pic doesn't do it justice, especially with the rain, but it is HUGE!!!
Rough translation - The troll tines (peaks) stretch from Breitind to the south and Trolltind in the north. Trollveggen is the north wall on Trollryggen and is the steepest and longest wall in the massive peaks. Trollveggen is considered Europe's highest vertical mountain wall.

I promised Tracy I wouldn't buy a bunch of stuff... but this was my first temptation.

Followed closely by my second. I did resist.

Then suddenly I was at the Trollroad (Trollstigen). I pulled over at the first possible place and took a nice 2 mile hike. My upload to Blogger messed up the pics and video order... sorry.




Do you see how FREAKIN' blue that water is?












Yes, that is an awesome suspension bridge.... yes, love, I crossed.






Looking back up to the parking lot.


Half way point on the hairpin turns.








Then I arrived at the Trollstigen Visitor Center. This has a GREAT a la carte menu.
My first Smørbrød. Traditional and mostly daily food for Norwegians.
Looking back on the visitors center.

Our second house.
Norway is very unlike America in how we treat our natural monuments. In the US, you don't leave the path, everything we do it to protect what we have for the future, if you are caught not following the rules, you are fined or imprisioned. 

In Norway, the land belongs to the people. You have the right to go anywhere you want to go, therefore people have jumped the barriers and set up their rocks, and will hike where ever they please. However, they do it with utmost respect. There is no carving of names, no spray paint, they are incredibly responsible with the rights they have. I don't remember seeing a scrap of litter, every home and yard was tidy. It is breathtaking there. Even in the wind and rain.




Looking down from the platform... they say it is 200 feet down.
That was CRAZY fun to drive!

Can't really see it but directly over the water fall.




Looking back at the second part of the road.

Looking back at the first/bottom half of the road.
This is the head of a cool trail, with a great entrance.

Some people would take the opportunity to take this super cool hike up this rock step to the mountain above.
I was about to take my first step onto the uneven rocky path....
I did not take the hike. I had Tracy in my head yelling at me not to die on my first day in Norway. :) Even a world away, Tracy is keeping me safe.

The red you see up there are people.

For my mom.








This bathroom looks normal... it isn't. I have to turn sideways to get in the door. IT IS TINY!!!!

This is the other side of the pass. I was bummed, cause it was getting late and I needed to get to my airbnb. I wanted to enjoy my way down the pass. It was incredibly beautiful, in a completely different way than the Troll Road. This takes you to Geiranger, Which we will see again soon.













Welcome to Ålesund, Norway. As you see at the top of the hill in the below picture is the most famouse place to take a picture of Ålesund, Aksal Viewpoint. 418 stairs to the top, or you can drive/bus around the back. I took the stairs. Like everythig in Norway they have it planed out nicely, with stopping places for pics and rest about every 100 steps.

Ålesund had a devistating fire in 1904. Luckily Ålesund had a friend in a German Architect who loved the city so much that he immediatly sent for all of his employees and supplies and started rebuilding the city in the Art Nouveau style. Because of this, Ålesundis regularly voted the most beautiful city in Norway, and it is Stunning.




My Airbnb was right next to that big boat.



So after dinner, meeting some stunning, friendly women at the restaurant. I walked home at about 11:45.
On one of these boats there is a rip roaring party happening. I know it is Friday night, at 11:45 pm.... but what I do that late at night at a party need full cover of darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment