Sunday, July 29, 2018

Ireland Day Ten


I love the idea of Druids and their sights. Apparently, there are stone circles all over Norway, Ireland and other European countries (YES, I know Norway is part of Scandinavia, but they are often lumped in to "Europe" for conversations like this). There are fairly easy to find if you are willing to go off the beaten path.

While doing my "oh, crap I have to change my Ireland plans" I found this website listing seven spiritual places in Northern Ireland. I hit all but one of them and am very happy I did. Great meditations at all of them.



Beaghmore Stone Circles 
I met a sweet little poodle puppy and his parents here. Had about an hour conversation with them that convinced me to NOT do "The Troubles" black cab tour in Belfast. We talked about what I wanted to do while in N. Ireland and they felt it was too soon for that kind of tour to take place. I had a strong sense to listen to their hearts on this matter and I was happy I decided against it when I visited Derry a couple days later. They talked about how people now holiday in Vietnam and how it is the same thing in many people's eyes, but for this couple, who consider themselves North Irelanders, it was just too soon. I had to respect that.






Drumskinny Stone Circle

This is one of the things I love about Ireland. Honestly, is there a place that you kick up some sod that won't unearth a few thousand year old something??? Farmers will often need more space (Northern Ireland imports 38% of their food, but the island isn't that big, and most farmers are now designated as "Hobby farms" because they just can't get enough crops at high enough prices to still be considered a successful business. Republic of Ireland imports 3.5 Millions tons of food a year.) and will break the sod only to find a stone circle or something else historically important on their land. The ethical farmers call it in, know they will loose a portion of their farmable land to a new tourist site.

This stone circle is one of the best examples of this happening that I came across. They fenced this bad boy in as closely as possible while still leaving it enjoyable to walk around.

















Those ears are as long as his whole head.


BYE, Friend!
Caldragh Graveyard Cemetery in Boa Island

Boa Island

They have the coolest gate system to keep the sheep where they should be.


Woo woo here! This tree and I are very old friends. I was so happy to see them.










This walk to the chair is very cool. you walk into a glen with a ridge line jutting up a few hundred feet each side is a tree covered dramatic sloping drop to the forest floor. This would be a cool trip if anyone was interested in a Northern Ireland walking/hiking tour. 




The sides slop off from this path.
























The well. I did not drink from it, but did bless my third eye.
Driving Pics
So cool. So Dangerous. This is about 1.25 European cars wide, so one American car width. This is a fairly nice right of way in that there isn't any weird random curbs poking out, and if I needed to there is only hedge I would drive through if  I was run off the road by a local. Oh, and I am driving on the wrong side of the road, by the by.

Super Cool house! Huge!
The Fort itself is free and open to walk right up with four signs at the compass points and entrance, however, an entrepreneurial soul built a nice museum and education center right next door. The first set is from the education center.






Don't know what it is, but it is super cool!



Now for the actual Fort.

















This pic kind of shows the slope of the mound.
I totally rolled down this hill. Haven't done that in a while, you get REALLY dizzy rolling down a very long hill. When I stopped I was attacked by a vicious adorable dachshund that thought I was a monster. The licks to the face helped revive my dizziness. I highly recommend it the next time you find a large hill.






I have been trying very hard not to constantly take pics of the cobblestone roads that are everywhere, in both countries, but this one was too cool not to click.
Glenroan Portal Tomb
I am driving a long at the end of my day and see one of the brown signs saying there is a historical site near by,  I quickly drive up a "road" and immediately get lost at a dead end road... that I can't turn around... and as I begin to reverse back to the main road I see a slight parking spot and another sign.
My mirrors are rubbing the hedge.














Another nice example of the farmers having to give up a part of their land for history. I am clearly walking on a working part of their farm, they were able to work the farm in a way to not completely lose the land. 


The table is in there... can you see it?
This looks like a beautiful place to do a ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment