Thursday, July 19, 2018

Norway Day Five

That was a quick trip to Ă…lesund, and suddenly I was on my way to Lillehammer, or so I thought. :)

I LOVE Coffee, if you hadn't noticed. All of the coffee cups and the Airbnb's and gas stations had minuscule cups. This was a large from the station. ARG!!!

I had researched a smidge on Tripadvisor about the Loen Skylift, but decided against adding it to my list of possibilities, well, I drove right past it, what was I to do, except turn around and jump on. They were doing a lot of construction while I was there, I am sure it will be an even better experience in a few years.




That is the town of Loen, Norway.




Looking directly down from the observation balcony.





Looking to the mountain beyond/behind the lift.
People come to Leon Skylift with all their camping gear, ride up and start their hike from there. They enjoy the mountains and don't necessarily return to the Lift to go back home. Just to the right of the picture, and unbeknownst to me there is the highest suspension bridge in the world with a 375 foot-ish drop. I was bummed because I found out about it on my way back down, and din't feel like I should pay to go up again. Next time.


SUPER fancy TINY toilet.

Yep... Knees almost hit the door.
Leaving Leon I was tooling along chasing a cool mountain peak, see below, and barely stopped in time to see this great park, which is not on the internet at all to my knowledge. The artist is Stig Eikaas, and he does a lot of self portrait sculpture. 






On the road entering a new kommune (city) there will be a sign, like below, that shows the kommune coat of arms. I thought this was just keen. I want a Tucson coat of arms.

This is the only church I visited in Norway. It is a Stave Church.

Most barns have this ingenious sod and rock slope into the top story of their barn. This was a short barn, but some were three stories and had two slopes.

Felt like I was going back in time.









Through the window, cause it was locked up tight.

Old door covered by a more "recent" door.




The above door is in this alcove.

Interpretation - Lomen Stave Church

View of Lomen Municipality.



Driving Pics - I was so stunned by the new landscape that my next solo trip to Norway will start in Loen and I will spend time camping and hiking in this area. Or, at least, that is the dream. These pics are out of sync... sorry. I am so happy that there is weather in these shots, and during my travels. I have a link here somewhere if you want to google image some of these sights, I am sure there are sunny pics out there.


I loved the drive up to this peak.


This was a pull over where I ate my packed lunch. This hut has the sod roof, and encloses a recycling and garbage can. I want to be the garbage man for this part of the world.





























She totally took her time crossing the road, looking at me, and finally rubbed her whole self on the gaurdrail. HA!

Same peak.


This might be my hotel for the next trip... 


No comments:

Post a Comment